Gone to Europe!

Friday, October 13, 2006

first few days...

Hey!!!!

Alright so! All I have to say is that I am finding a German boy to marry. SERIOUSLY when I landed in the airport in Frankfurt.. every single young male who worked at the airport was .. very very good looking. ! Anyways!

I really love it here. It seems as though everything has some kind of elegance to it. Where I live is fairly close to downtown Vienna and all the buildings are very old and very pretty. The building I live in has 10 apartments total. If one where to walk in the front door of the apartment .. like any apartment there is a staircase leading up. All 5 apartments to the right of the staircase are owned by the family I am staying with. The other 5 are rented out to some randoms. I live on the first floor.. the families 'dental office' is on the second floor. The grandma of the family lives on the 3rd. The family lives on the 4th and the uncle lives on the 5th. The aparment itself is kinda weird. It is pretty big but.. pretty much the only space I use is my room because it seems to have everything in it. In my room I have a couch which turns into my bed.. my own kitchen which has an oven and stove.. and strangely enough my shower is in the kitchen.. haha. I have a lot of closet space and a table. It is weird because here.. there is not really a typical bathroom. There is the 'toilet room' which.. has a toilet and a very small sink. Then there is a seperate room which has a bigger sink in it with cupboards. Im guessing one would never find a toilet and a shower in the same room.!!

Other than that.. the family is really great. The two little girls I am looking after are kind of a handful. The little one.. Barbara is 2. She is very indepedant which gets herself in a lot of trouble. If she doesnt get her way she starts crying which is annoying haha. The older one Lisa is 4. She is pretty good but likes to boss her little sister around which starts problems..

As I understand, my typical week will be spent in 2 places. Monday to Wednesday will be spent at home and Thursday/ Friday are spent at Oma and Opa's which is in the countryside. I didnt go with the family this Thursday because they thought I would enjoy some time exploring.

The parents of the family are really knowlegeable.. I think I am like their 6th au pair so this is not new to them. The dad, Hans, has told me that going to Venice is a must. Aparently there is a 'night train' which I can take on Friday night.. then spend Saturday in Venice and come back Saturday night. That way I do not have to pay to stay in a hostel at night. Who knows tho.. maybe I will want to stay!

I have uploaded some pictures of my apartment. Click on 'My Pictures' and it will take you to the home page of my online album. In the top right corner there is a space to enter text. Put in 'farawayfrmhome' and it will take you to my pictures. The ones of my aparments are under the 'apartment' link.

Other than that! The german language isnt as bad as I thought it would be. I thought it would be so much uglier haha. All I know so far is 'nein' and 'ja' (yes and no). The 4 year old girl tried to teach me numbers and colors yesterday but it didnt really stick. All i remember is six.. because its the same in both languages.!

Alright. .well if you took the time to read this .. leave me a comment or send me an e-mail! I would love to hear from everyone..

:) Danielle

3 Comments:

At Friday, October 13, 2006 1:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola

So I am really enjoying your clothes. Don't worry I havent taken the whole closet apart, just a few shirts here and there. And im not sleeping in your room either.

Mom wanted to put down Emma this weekend but I disagreed and we are now thinking monday. Im surprised that dad actully agreeed with me, he actully seems quite attached to Emma now. Im unsure if I am going to the vet when we put her to sleep. I remember peaceful it was after we put Annie down and I wasn't there to see her go but a part of me wants to be there to comfort Emma. I still dont think Emmas that sick, she's still acting quite normal. Just the other day she ran up the stairs and farted, ah its the little things your gonna miss.

"The older one Lisa is 4. She is pretty good but likes to boss her little sister around which starts problems.." Reminds me of someone. Your apartment looks pretty nice even if it is quite small. Its good that you get some privacy. Not much is happening here, Im going to a party tonight and I think Mrs.Garbutt and Tayt are coming over for dinner tommorow.

I have been busy lately with dance and cheer and school but I will try to write as often as I get a chance.

adios,

Breanne

 
At Friday, October 13, 2006 4:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was I the guy that was supposed to say something?

Cheers
papa

 
At Saturday, October 14, 2006 12:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danielle, you truly are on adventure. It's nice to have your own space and it looks comfortable. You are certainly seeing a different way of life. With those many floors, I don't suppose there is an elevator so you are likely happy to be on the ground floor, where I would have thought the offices would be. It will be nice to see the countryside. Venice is a must if you can manage it. It's really unbelievable. The money belt may come in handy after all!!

We had a big bomb dropped on our community--the owners of the golf course are closing it and selling to someone who wants to develop it into houses. We are having lots of meetings to try to make that not happen. It would be hard to do as the zoning would have to be changed and the residents have a lot of input into that. I'm incoming president of the residents' association, so you know I will be busy.

Good luck with the little girls. Use your charm. Love, Grandma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home